Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Respect vs Political Correctness

According to disability-rights.org, disability etiquette is "preferred etiquette when meeting, introducing, writing about, assisting, or enjoying the company of a person who has a disability." Disability etiquette is part of political correctness. Political correctness is "conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated". As you are probably aware, political correctness is considered very important these days.

Respect, according to Merriam-Webster, is "a feeling or understanding that someone or
something is important, serious, etc., and should be treated in an appropriate way". Respect can also be defined by Matthew 7:12, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (commonly known as the Golden Rule). 
Respect should be given to everyone, including people you disagree with or people who dislike you. Luke 6:27-28 says: "But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you". Romans 12:14 is very similar: "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse."

What is the difference? Respect is given to someone because "all men are created equal." No one person deserves more respect than another person, regardless of appearance or situation in life. Acts 17:26 shows how all mankind is created equal: "From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands." Now, political correctness is applied to certain groups because they have a disability or have a different skin tone. Political correctness can turn into trivial sayings instead of the truth – it makes situations awkward for everyone involved, by making people think they are going to say the wrong thing.

An example of political correctness is: "Say 'person with a disability' rather than 'disabled person.'" (taken from http://www.unitedspinal.org/disability-etiquette/). There isn't a difference in the two phrases except the former is considered offensive, whereas the latter is considered appropriate. 
I use many of the terms for physical disabilities that are considered offensive to describe myself and I am not being self-deprecating. For example, I use the terms: handicapped, disabled, confined to a wheelchair, and crippled. Political correctness turns into sugar coating instead of honesty. Being respectful is telling the truth in a cordial manner. 

Just as a disclaimer, by no means am I justifying disrespect or rudeness. The intention of the post is to provide an explanation.

3 comments:

  1. The standard God has given is to Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love others as yourself (Matthew 22:37-40). After reading your blog I have a new perspective regarding what comes out of my mouth. I need to ask for the Lord to clean me from the inside such that my words will edify others. Thanks for the wonderful insight; keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for writing such an inspiring blog. I, too, have been able to gain a new perspective from your writing. I'm going to share this with friends and hope that more people can become more educated on these facts of life. You're so young yet you grasp these concepts better than people who have been around so much longer, my mother would call you "an old soul" which is her way of saying "boy, you're wiser than most".
    I have questions that maybe you can answer.
    In school I met someone who told me to always try to make conversation with someone disabled/handicapped. They told me to ask the person questions and take interest in their disability. What do you think about that? And how should we approach a stranger? I'm all about putting smiles on peoples faces, especially if they need one if they're in a bad mood.
    I'll leave it at that for now.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I appreciate the compliments as well. God has blessed me with that wisdom. To answer your question, I would say if you feel comfortable asking them about their disability, then you should. I don't mind when people ask me about my disability and most of the disabled people I know do not mind either. As far as approaching disabled people, just approach them like you would anybody else. We are all creations of God.

      Delete