Friday, August 8, 2014

Humility

Let me start this post by saying, I appreciate all the compliments I have been receiving on my writing from my readers, but I must humbly give all credit to God. God gives all good things, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17) I do have to work continually to improve my writing, however, but it is God who provides me with the perseverance to do so. I am thankful for everyone's support, so I'm not writing this to downplay the compliments given to me. 

In light of the previous paragraph, this week's topic is humility. I like C.S. Lewis' definition of humility, 
"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." Charles Spurgeon also had a good view of humility, "None are more unjust in their judgments of others than those who have a high opinion of themselves." Matthew 7:1-5 says, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Everyone has trouble with humility, it's so easy to become prideful and conceited because no human is perfect. Just because everyone has trouble with humility does not excuse it, nonetheless. Philippians 2:3-4 instructs us to be humble: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." We are instructed to put others before ourselves just as Christ displayed on the cross; He put every single one of us before Himself when He gave His life as reconciliation for our sins, the ultimate act of love and humility.

God rewards those individuals who emulate the humility of His son, Luke 14:11 says: "For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." That verse is also a warning for those who exalt themselves; God may allow arrogance temporarily, but those individuals will be humbled at some point. It is easier to swallow your pride quickly before it gets out of hand, just as Barney Fife always said, "Andy, you gotta nip it, nip it the bud!" 

If you humble yourself, then God will reward you either in this life or in the next life (you should not act humble just to get rewards though). 1 Peter 5:6 reiterates this idea, "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." Humility also yields wisdom, Proverbs 11:2: "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." I've witnessed firsthand how wisdom comes from humility.

The example in my previous post on worry could also apply to this post, but I will supply you with another. By fourth grade, I began to have difficulty completing many physical tasks, I was almost confined to a wheelchair at that point. I originally had difficulty asking for help, the source some of that difficulty was me getting used to having help with everyday tasks, but the main source of that difficulty was pride. I realized over time that my pride was ridiculous as I had to have assistance to complete many tasks that required physical movement, it wasn't optional. 

I finally realized that needing help wasn't anything to be prideful about, every single person needs help with something in their life. It is foolish to think otherwise just as Proverbs 12:15 explains, "The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice." It is good when you finally come to grips with the fact that you don't know everything and you can't do everything by yourself, it is wise to listen to advice and ask for help when it's needed. Most humbling of all was when God led me to see that I needed a savior, that savior is Jesus Christ. 

Ephesians 2:1-10 is a great passage to explain the need for a savior, "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,which God prepared in advance for us to do.

John 3:14-18 concurs with Ephesians, "Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son." Many people think that it is a imprisoning thought to need a savior, but it is quite humbling and freeing to need a savior.

I know I used a couple larger passages than normal, but I felt that God was pushing me share the source of my hope. "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15). 

6 comments:

  1. I praise God for a young man bold enough to share his faith. My prayer is for the Lord Jesus to continue to grow you in Him. I know he is using this blog to challenge young people to seek God while he may be found. The Lord is coming and coming soon!!! For those who reject the Gospel and great delusion will convince the lies of the enemy. My hope in the Lord is certain. Thank you for sharing (Philippians chapter 2 is a good example of humility). KP of China Grove

    ReplyDelete
  2. The insight and use of Scripture is honoring to God. I plan to tell others about this sight. MK KSU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing my blog with your friends. I pray that God continues to use my writing for His purposes.

      Delete
  3. I just heard from a friend this sight is interesting. LOL the enemy is not going to like this evangelism. The writer must believe the stuff he is writing because most of the people I know either don't believe or keep quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe what I write. I wouldn't have anything in life without God. I am very thankful for your support, even if I don't know who you are.

      Delete
  4. I like the update of your blog. Persevere the Lord will bring readers in His time. Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
    Ro 5:4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.
    Ro 5:5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. Keith Porter

    ReplyDelete