Saturday, August 23, 2014

Is the glass half full or half empty?

The other day after class (I go to Rowan-Cabarrus Community College and students there are pretty nice people usually), I was sitting under tree to keep out of the sun, which has been exceptionally hot as of lately, and this other student walked by. This student was probably 15 or 16, putting him in the early college program and he had a backpack full of books -- mind you it was about 92 degrees out.

Being in the South, many people ask a person under a tree, "Are you staying out of the heat?", just as this guy did. I replied, "Trying to, but it's hot out here.", to which he said. He quuckly respond with, "It depends on how you look at it." He smiled and continued walking by me.

That might just sound like a normal example of a friendly conversation, but there is a lot of wisdom in this guy's final comment. His comment reminded me that I wasn't being the optimist that I am; this guy had every right, according to most people, to complain and he didn't. 

As I mentioned, I'm an optimist and I have always been one. I don't know how I became an optimist originally, but now I'm optimistic because I know where I'm going after this life. The reason I know this is by knowing who I worship and the promises He has made and kept.

Below are some examples of the promises I'm talking about.
"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." (John 14:16-17)
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." (James 1:5)
“Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God.Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the Lord.’” (Exodus 6:6-8)
"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures,he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 23)

These verses remind me to stay optimistic and not to complain. Complaining never solves anything anyway, not even if it seems like it should. I like what Tony Dungy said about complaining: "When you're in a situation, you can complain about it, you can feel sorry for yourself, you can do a lot of things. But how are you gonna make the situation better?" So, when you (I'm talking to myself too) feel like complaining remember the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for you.

2 comments:

  1. As always a well thought out article. The Bible's promises provide encouragement; I thank the Lord for His work in your life. I agree with your positive approach to life. I praise God for His patience with us as we grow in Him.

    I personally am neither an optimist or a pessimist. I am certain of the promises of God through His Power living in me. I am certain of His Holy, Just, Righteous Love; I am certain Jesus is the "Only Begotten Son of God"; I am certain He Blesses His Children with Eternal Life and the ability to serve Him for His Glory. I am certain He has gone before us to prepare a place and He will soon return. I am also certain until His return unregenerate man will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. I pray for the salvation of the lost and as God desires all men come to His saving Grace my heart breaks over those who refuse to bow the knee while there is still time. I am also certain true servants of the Living God will suffer and be persecuted in this world; why not because I am a pessimist, but because God's Word promises suffering. I am also certain I am to be thankful in all circumstances, pray without ceasing and obey God regardless of my circumstances. I am certain apart from the Power of the Holy Spirit I can do none of these things; therefore daily I must deny myself, take up my cross and follow Jesus. Some might call these statements optimism; some might call them pessimist; some might even call them pragmatist; the Bible calls them Promises of God.

    Zach God is training you in the ways of righteousness continue to follow Him; continue to write; and remember "All Scripture is God Breathed useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righteousness. So the man of God is equipped to discharge his God given duties." God's Abundant Blessing and Continued Grace. As your brother in Christ; God's Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed the weekly posting. I suspect College work is making time short. A post concerning college life and faith would be interesting. I have heard Marantha Bible Church (1 Cor. 16:22; "Come Lord Come") has started a ministry to assist college students balance faith and college pressure. The leader of the youth group is actually an undergraduate dealing with the same issue. I will pray Zach will see the opportunity to offer his thoughts based on God's Word as to how he manages. (John 15:1-17). I will continue to pray with thanksgiving (1 Thess. 5:16-18) knowing that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Phil. 1:6).

    ReplyDelete